Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Carrot half-entremet?

Studying food tech for GCSE and A levels really gave me an excuse to polish up and try out different recipes I wanted to. Most of which I would have to make changes to because I would have to look at the nutritional aspect of the product as well -it was such. a pain in the neck! xD I would spend hours researching on the internet for inspiration because food tech was probably the only time I get to bake (my home oven is so big that it wastes so much gas when I bake so I would always bake several things at once or just not bake at all so less gas is wasted). Today's post is about one of my design ideas which I 'recreated' from a drama called Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend. The main character, Riiko and her boss goes through trials to make this delicious looking carrot cream which is used for the main component of this carrot entremet Riiko later finished off. The way they filmed it made it so special that I wanted to try it out, not to mention because carrots are included which ups the health factor? :D 

Watching the drama the first time was also when I was introduced to these cute silicone  sphere molds. I was totally like ''*0* omg this is how they make round desserts?'' haha, major noob times. 

Tada! This is my take on that carrot dessert xD. Totally no where near as fancy and polished up as the one shown in the drama. When I tried to make the pieces of carrot toppings I had difficulty shaping them, they needed to be softened which would take quite a while and I just didn't have that patience at that time, so slices of par-boiled --> baked carrots it was! Was originally going to make carrot twirls, but the carrots just wouldn't stay in shape and I didn't have all night, so carrot curled coins it was! 

Originally, this was how the dessert was supposed to be like, bare without it's frilly skirt. Wasn't too happy with this so I added more :D. 

I found a recipe that had similar cooking shown in the drama, well, the boiling carrots part only really. ^^;. The carrots in the mousse couldn't really be tasted, though I would have probably added more for a brighter colour as well as flavour. It tasted more of orange because of the outer gelee layer- I used orange extract and colouring for the vibrant colour, though sweetened orange juice would be a better alternative, I just had some extra plain gelee to hand. In the center, I added a set lemon curd (for the presence of vitamin C haha and also because of the recipe I looked at used it too ) it was really nice and made the dessert creamy . 

I guess this would explain why I called this dessert a 'half-entremet'. An entremet contains quite a few layers which usually includes textures like crunchy, crispy, silky, smooth, aerated etc. 






Recipe
Click here for the full recipe. I replaced the glazing and didn't include the sponge, however I do think it's a nice touch and would give the dessert added depth of flavour. 
I definitely will try more entremets, they're fun and quite straight forward to make. :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment