Pages

Friday 26 July 2013

Croissants! First attempt

Croissants! A definite bake most likely to be seen in Parisian cafes and loved by many including my granny. Truth be told i'm not the biggest fan of croissants...they've never really appealed to me and I would always turn my head away from them no matter how delicious and flaky they looked. My family however, grandma in particular loves them to death! When she lived here in the UK for 2 years in the past she would have a croissant and tea for lunch almost everyday. My dad would bake her pretty little ones fresh from the oven and she would loathe over them. xD. Nowadays we just buy them from costcos because they're hella cheap and huge!


Since my grandma now lives in Hong Kong, she always says how Hong Kong's croissants are no match for ones you in the UK because people in Hong Kong are conscious of their health and most baked products are low in fat, most probably sugar and salt too therefore they lack in flavour. So whenever we go to visit her in Hong Kong we will bulk buy her packs of costco croissants xD 

Even though we give her these croissants, I would still love to be able to bake a perfect batch for her, so she can enjoy properly fresh made ones. 

My first batch of croissants! Completely flopped face down...they were too sweet and I didn't bake them for long enough :/. Totally forgot they needed longer in the oven when I saw that they had already browned evenly and took them out of the oven and was rather excited. ==''...after realizing I chucked them back in the oven, but they still needed longer, but I could no longer be bothered to turn the oven back on...hehe. -forever under baking stuff...especially bread types of bakes- 

They puffed up nicely, but deflated a little the next day, and was a little rougher than I had hoped, very buttery though! The toughness might have been because I under proved the dough? I was pleasantly surprised by the aroma that came out whilst these croissants were baking, soo delicious! the combination of the yeasty, bread smell and a rich buttery smell. Mmmm. Luscious. 

How it looks inside...definitely needed more baking!

Lil before and after gif to finish off! Will watch more videos, recipes and study how to make croissants harder... haha. There will be more posts about croissants! Hopefully I will be able to bake a presentable croissant by the time I fly to Hong Kong to see my granny~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment